Tuesday, February 9, 2016

From Stranded to Subsisting.

Stranded in Canada is a pretty shitty name for a blog. I think I should change it.

Stranded in Canada make people think I hate Canada, and I don't. I can't say that I don't hate Toronto, but I'm trying to like it.

Stranded implies hopeless, lost, and unhappy. Who can live like that forever? At a certain point you have to stop being stranded and start picking up the pieces, putting them back together, and moving forward. If you're the kind of person who doesn't give up it's inevitable that your luck will change. It always does for us.

It did for my husband. Last month he got a call from another animation company in Toronto, the competitor of the company I'm not supposed to talk about. They wanted him on their team!  They were willing to take over his work permit (so we no longer have to leave Canada) and now he's at a much better company leading an even better project. And this new company didn't even have to shell out $30K to bring us here! See? It all worked out.

For him. And for the rest of us too since we no longer have to scramble to up and leave ASAP. When we told the kids that their dad got another job in Toronto they were like, "We wanted to go back to America! Does this mean we have to stay?" so not everyone is thrilled. Still, we're not stranded anymore. Stuck, maybe, but able to subsist and trying to make the most of it.

Subsisting in Canada
... doesn't have the same ring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment