Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Digging Out

It's no secret that I don't love this house. If you knew what our last backyard looked like you would know why this one makes me sad. It's one-tenth the size and has no swingset, garden, fruit trees, or fish pond. You'd be hard-pressed to find any yard in Toronto with all that. Basically this yard is just a place for our dog to poop. That patio set hasn't been sat on since Seattle.


I'm resigned to the fact that we'll never get back what we had. For now, we have to make do. We've resolved to find a new house once this lease it up so this is probably the only winter we'll be here. I need to capture the bits of beauty we do have so I can remember that it wasn't all bad. If I continue to keep holed-up like a hermit I will never know the beauty of a sunny morning after a night of constant snowfall...


and how the plants look with snow caps and the way the the sun casts shadows on the snow.


We could be one of those houses that people have to trudge past because its inhabitants don't care enough to shovel a path, or we could do our civic duty.


I grabbed that shovel and stopped to take a picture of that door.


I'm pretty sure we're the only people in the world with a window like this.
 

(Pause for gratuitous gorgeous dog shot.)

Kali watched as I spent the next hour shoveling a path from our front door to the street. It was the best workout I've had all winter.

When you find yourself stuck you have to dig your way out, carve a path, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment