Saturday, January 9, 2016

Ode to the Pacific Northwest

O Pacific Northwest, I ache for you.
Not since West Virginia have I missed a place so much.
I miss your snow-capped volcanoes in the distance.
I miss your cool mist and the scent of cedar and pine.
I miss your unfurling ferns, your moss, and mushrooms.
I miss your bugs and banana slugs.
I miss your towering trees reminding me
I am but a moment in time.
I am lost without your mountains and forests.
I long to stand on the shores of your lakes and see life on the other side.
I want to witness your salmon swimming in rivers and oceans...
then welcome them home where they return to spawn and die.
I yearn for the Pacific Ocean, Washington's rocky shoreline,
and the chance to watch a whale emerge from the water.
O Pacific Northwest, until your earth and atmosphere
soak back into my bones
 I will ache for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment